Bachelor of Business Studies
DC111 | Undergraduate Full Time
The Business Studies degree course is designed to give you an introduction to the foundations of business and guide you to a specialisation in economics, management, finance, marketing, HR or business analytics.
Newly introduced in 2021 is the Business Analytics specialism designed to provide you with business analytical capabilities that are in high demand in every sector. Find out more about this specialism here: https://business.dcu.ie/business-analytics-stream/
Through elements such as business simulations and new enterprise development projects, we set out to stimulate and foster imaginative thinking among our students, giving you the skills to arrive at solutions to business problems.
The four-year course includes an optional 11-month paid work placement that gives you the opportunity to experience working in a real business environment. Alternatively, you can opt to spend a year at one of our partner universities in Europe.
Chat with a Current StudentIf you have any questions about this course, you can chat directly with one of the current students using the options below.
Why Do This Course?
The Business Studies degree gives you a solid grounding in the many skills required to pursue a successful career in business. The greatest strength of the course is its entrepreneurial focus and relevance to management practice.
In Year One and Two, you’ll take modules from a range of business areas including accounting, economics, IT, marketing, management, finance, psychology and law.
In Year Three, you can opt to do a year-long work placement or study abroad at one of our partner universities in Europe.
In your final year, you’ll take a number of key modules including Business Strategy and New Enterprise Development, while specialising in an area of business that interests you. Students can opt for business economics, finance, management, marketing, human resource management and business analytics.
New for 2021 is the Business Analytics specialism designed to provide students with business analytical capabilities that are in high demand in every sector. Find out more about this specialism here: https://business.dcu.ie/business-analytics-stream/
- DCU Business School, accredited by AACSB, has a strong international reputation for the quality of its programmes and graduates
- Specialise in a key business area (economics, management, marketing, HR, finance and business analytics) in final year
- Develop skills in communications, IT, teamwork and problem solving
- Choose between an option work placement or study abroad programme in Year 3
- Strong entrepreneurial focus encourages innovation and creativity
- DCU’s unique modules like DICE (Digital Innovation, Creativity and Enterprise) and NED (New Enterprise Development) will expose you to multiple, innovative modes of learning, including online e-learning, live webinars and mini-conferences
When you graduate, you will be ready to make a genuine and lasting contribution to any workforce. Indeed, graduates from the BBS have an international reputation for making an immediate and significant contribution, whatever path they choose. As shown in surveys of university graduates, graduates of this course are now among the most sought-after business graduates in Ireland. Depending on your final-year specialism, you may qualify for exemptions from examinations of certain professional bodies. (All exemptions awarded to graduates are subject to annual review and revision by the various professional bodies.)
So, whether you want to pursue an industrial, commercial or public career, or to establish your own business, there’s no better place to start than at DCU.
This course is also suitable for those who ultimately wish to pursue a career in teaching, as it is recognised by the Teaching Council for teaching Business Studies and Economics.
- DCU Marketing, Innovation, and Technology students provide creative consulting advice to The Cool Food School02/03/2023 - 9:50 am
- Bernard Brogan – My MSc Management (Business) Experience24/02/2023 - 6:38 pm
- DCU Executive MBA – Louise Walsh, 1st year shares her thoughts!14/02/2023 - 4:31 pm
- A slice of LIFE with NTR plc CEO Rosheen McGuckian14/02/2023 - 4:06 pm
- Business Insights
- Collaborate with us
- About Us
- Our Programmes
- Faculty and Research
- Executive Education
- Upcoming Events
- Deans Honours List
- Contact Us