EXPLORE POSTGRADUATE FULL TIME
MSc in FinanceDC511 | Postgraduate Full Time
The MSc in Finance is a one-year Masters programme providing a leading European finance education, a high degree of flexibility in your learning experience and modern industry-relevant specialisms. Our programme is structured as a core learning first semester, followed by two specialist streams in the second semester and the completion of a dissertation over the summer semester. The two streams are Capital Markets and Financial Management.
Through these streams and excellent practical and research-informed core learning, we allow you to specialize in a manner that reflects your interests and career aspirations. We offer an ideal path for graduates of business and economics degrees and non, who wish to undertake a career in finance by obtaining a leading European postgraduate qualification.
Candidates apply for admission to the M.Sc. in Finance (Common Entry) which provides a common pathway into two specialised streams. The two streams are Financial Management and Capital Markets, and all have the first semester in common. At the end of the first semester, with the help and advice of faculty, each student will choose which stream to take.
“The MSc in Finance had the ideal blend of analysis and theory while also keeping students up to date on the fast paced, ever changing finance industry. The course is very challenging, however, I have managed to find my ideal job, and I would not be in my current position without the qualification.”
Shane O’Doherty, Business Development Manager, Aberdeen Standard Investments
DCU Business School is ranked in the top 90 Business Schools in Europe in the 2020 Financial Times Ranking, one of only three Irish Business Schools to achieve this ranking. The Financial Times Ranking for Business Schools is one of the most highly acknowledged and widely cited authorities on quality and performance of institutions globally.
Why Do This Course?
This one-year Masters programme is designed to produce the kind of professionals in greatest demand in the financial industry. It does so by fostering analytical and decision-making skills and helping you build a set of rigorous competences in financial subjects. You will be exposed to first-class specialist education in financial subjects, develop your quantitative skills, and have the opportunity to learn the latest econometrics and data analysis techniques, which are becoming extremely important for a successful career in the financial industry.
The Capital Markets stream is designed to equip graduates for challenging but rewarding careers at the forefront of the financial industry, especially in investment banking, asset management and corporate finance. It does so by fostering analytical and decision-making skills and helping students build a set of rigorous competences in financial subjects. Students opting for this stream of the programme will be exposed to first-class specialist education in investment analysis and treasury and investment management;
The Financial Management stream builds on our extensive knowledge in the field, developing and expanding our student’s knowledge and experience with regards to one of the key strategic functions within businesses of all sizes and structures. Effective financial management reflects upon efficient effective management and investment of corporate reserves while selecting an appropriate capital composition, accurate estimation of capital requirements and the development of exceptional financial controls.
The key aims of the overall program are to:
- Help you to understand the functioning of capital markets and financial choices made by firms by exploring the latest thinking in financial economics, with special emphasis on portfolio theory, asset pricing, corporate finance;
- Develop your mastery of techniques and methods of analysis useful to solve financial problems, with special emphasis on the challenges faced in the current economy. Ultimately, the objective is to prepare you to become effective decision-makers in the financial industry, equipping you for high-level rewarding careers across the spectrum of the financial sector.
*This programme will run subject to sufficient numbers of students enrolled
This programme is designed to prepare ambitious students for the challenges and rewarding career opportunities in the financial services industry. You will be equipped for a career in financial markets and institutions, especially in investment banking and asset management, or in the risk management and corporate finance functions of corporations, as well as regulatory bodies and government offices dealing with the financial industry.
Recent graduates are employed by major financial institutions including UBS, Standard & Poor’s, Royal Bank of Scotland, KPMG, PwC, Boston Scientific, Commerzbank, AIB, Bank of Ireland, Goodbody Stockbrokers, Davy, Geneva Trading, Mercer, Nestle, Citco Fund Services, Standard Life and BNY Mellon.
The University has launched a new student application portal. Applications for entry to this course can be made here.
General Entry Requirements
For admission to the M.Sc. in Finance candidates must hold –
A 2.1 Honours degree in a Business discipline, or equivalent international qualification
A 2.1 Honours degree in a relevant non-business discipline eg. Engineering, Physics, Maths, or Computer Science or equivalent international qualification.
Applicants who have achieved a 2.2 Honours degree may still obtain a place. This will depend on availability of places and on obtaining high grades in relevant modules on their undergraduate programme.
International candidates who are non-native speakers of English must satisfy the University of their competency in the English language. More information about English language requirements for DCU Business School can be found here.
All Applicants must submit
- Academic Transcripts for each and every year of study with English translation if applicable.
- A detailed Personal statement, details of professional qualification/s or significant work experience.
- Please include your CV and details of relevant experience.
- Please upload one academic reference and one professional reference.
- Where relevant, evidence of competence in the English language as per entry requirements for DCU Business School. Please see link http://www.dcu.ie/registry/english.shtml.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the programme is full or until:
- Closing date for EU applicants is 15th August 2021.
- Closing date for non EU applicants is 16th July 2021.
Note applicants who require a study visa for the purposes of studying at DCU, are advised to apply as early as possible.
Queries from EU applicants should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Queries from non EU applicants should be directed to email@example.com.
Commencement of Programme
The programme commences in September 2021.
- Organisations struggling to keep pace with new skills required due to pandemic – DCU research15/04/2021 - 6:52 pm
- DCU students named Varsity Sparks Winners 202113/04/2021 - 2:32 pm
- DCU Next Generation Management students celebrate business innovations for global good07/04/2021 - 3:21 pm
- DCU Business SchoolOpinion: Accountability and Transparency key to public trust in COVID vaccine rollout – Dr Rob Gillanders02/04/2021 - 9:13 pm
- Business Insights
- About Us
- Our Programmes
- Faculty and Research
- Executive Education
- Upcoming Events
- Contact Us