DCU wins overall prize at All Ireland Student Trader Challenge
Congratulations to the DCU students who competed in the inaugural All Ireland Student Trader Challenge over the past 10 weeks. Their expertise and dedication throughout the competition secured DCU’s win of the overall Top Performing Trader Trophy.
- Leo Farrelly, who traded consistently throughout the 10 weeks, managed to build his portfolio by 7.12% and was named Best Overall Portfolio winner
- Luke Govorov came 3rd place in the Best Overall Portfolio category
- Shane Carter came 3rd place in the Equity Only category
- Michael Rock won 1st place in the Option only category
The Student Trader Challenge is a 10-week stock market game for both secondary and third level students to help them better understand the stock market. Over 120 students took part from every corner of Ireland, with the youngest competitor just 14 years old. Participating colleges included DCU, TCD, UCD, NUI Maynooth, NUI Galway, DIT, DBS and Ulster University.
Each competitor receives step-by-step stock market training as well as their own real-time, simulated traded account funded with $1,000,000 of virtual capital. By the end of the challenge students have knowledge of the practical workings of the stock market, understand how to find the true value of a company and implement the best strategies for growing their portfolio consistently over time.
With the challenge over, many students have signed up to the Share Navigator monthly stock market game so that they can continue to grow their stock market knowledge and hone their skills. This enables them to become confident traders, in a real time, risk free environment as each strategy they execute is in their simulator account.
Collecting the award on behalf of DCU, Dr Mark Cummins, Senior Lecturer in Finance, commented: “Many congratulations to the students involved whose outstanding performance in this trading competition ultimately secured DCU’s top university position. ShareNavigator is to be commended on its innovative stock market training platform and its success in engaging students from across Ireland in the practice of trading.”
ShareNavigator is an online stock market training platform that includes 24/7 support in the form of tutorials, live webinars and trader support pages. It helps people with little or no share marketing experience to take control of their personal stock market investments.
For more information about the competition, visit www.studenttraderchallenge.com
Pictured: Dr Mark Cummins, Senior Lecturer in Finance and Leo Farrelly, DCU student and overall winner
Share this news
- DCU Business School staff receive Teaching Heroes Awards from the National Forum for Teaching and Learning11/05/2021 - 11:20 am
- Creating a strong culture of virtual collaboration is key to continued innovation05/05/2021 - 12:04 pm
- Women still face hiring barriers as recruiters influenced by third-party bias – DCU, NYUAD and Yale University research05/05/2021 - 11:54 am
- The MSc in Management (Aviation Leadership) was the gateway for me in developing my aviation career – Tomás Thornton04/05/2021 - 10:23 am
- Business Insights
- Collaborate with us
- About Us
- Our Programmes
- Faculty and Research
- Executive Education
- Upcoming Events
- Contact Us