IAA Geoffrey O’Byrne White Memorial Scholarship
The Irish Aviation Authority and DCU Business School are delighted to collaborate to bring you “The Irish Aviation Authority Geoffrey O’Byrne White Memorial Scholarships.
Students of both the MSc Aviation Leadership and BSc Aviation Management will be eligible for this scholarship.
|Date Opens||December 2022|
|Date Closes||30th June 2023|
|Value||€5000 (per recipient)|
This scholarship is awarded in memory of the late Mr Geoffrey O’Byrne White who was an Irish Aviation pioneer and enthusiast.
A former member of the Board of the Irish Aviation Authority (IAA), Mr. O’ Byrne White had over 30 years’ experience as a leader in the aviation industry. He started his career as a pilot with the Irish Air Corps and advanced to the position of head of operations for the Government Air Transport Service in 1985.
From there he moved to PARC Group, becoming Director of PARC Aviation and establishing and growing the Maintenance and Consultancy divisions. He was the Chief Executive of CityJet. From 2000 to 2010 and during his time with the airline it grew from operating with five BAe146 jet aircraft to a fleet of 45 aircraft flying to most of the major cities in Europe, and was appointed to the IAA board in 2011, working in pilot training in recent years. Mr O’Byrne White died on 11th June 2018, aged 62.
This scholarship is a tribute to the leadership and influence of Mr. O’Byrne White across the Irish aviation sector during his career.
Entry Requirements / Eligibility
Candidates should hold an honours primary degree (H2.1) or an equivalent professional qualification (ATCO; CPL); combined with 3 years of work experience in the aviation industry.
• If an applicant does not hold a primary degree, but has sufficient and relevant working experience (more than 5 years in the aviation industry), a special case for acceptance may be submitted.
• Recent graduates (with less than 3 years relevant work experience or with work experience in a different industry) who have the equivalent of first class honours degree will be considered.
• International candidates who are non-native speakers of English must satisfy the University of their competency in the English language.
• EU and non-EU students will be eligible to apply.
Scholarships are available to new entrants only (2023/2024)
For more information about the courses please visit:
BSc Aviation Management
MSc in Management (Aviation Leadership)
The selected student will be required to act as an ambassador for both the IAA and DCU, and may also be required to prepare short report on their experiences of the course e.g. newsletter article, blog etc.
Eligibility for this scholarship:
- Candidates must be funding their study personally.
- Candidates whose employer is funding their study or are funded through government-sponsored schemes are not eligible. The awardees may not hold other scholarships.
- Candidates in receipt of SUSI grants may apply.
- Candidates must supply all of the documentation required in the application process and meet DCU’s entry requirements along with the requirements of this course.
This is a single award of €5,000. Where a student undertakes the part-time option, the €5,000 will be awarded in the first year only.
How To Apply
Applications should be emailed to DCU Business School at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject marked “The IAA Geoffrey O’ Byrne White Memorial Scholarship for Aviation.” The deadline for this scholarship is 12 noon GMT 30th June 2023.
Shortlisted candidates may be invited for interview.
If you wish to find out more about the Masters Programme, check your eligibility, find out what’s involved or register your interest in applying, please e-mail – Dr Marina Efthymiou (course director) via email email@example.com
*Please note students cannot be awarded more than one DCU Business School scholarship at a time.