Market & Consumer Research
Academic: Martha Fanning
Having successfully completed this module, the student should be able to:
- Understand the role and purpose of marketing research
- Be able to design an appropriate research strategy
- Have a strong grasp of the different types and approaches to market research and the relative merits of each one
- Manage the implementation of a research programme: be able to set appropriate research budgets and manage key relationships with agencies.
- Be confident at being able to distil insights from data
- Be able to write up a research report in a way that finesses the key insights and bridges them into recommendations for action.
Academic: Dr Michael Gannon
This course introduces graduates to the issues at the forefront of international marketing. Through an engagement with seminal and contemporary research-based articles and related presentations and seminars, the student a critical awareness of current issues and opportunities for those developing brands for international markets.
The module will focus on:
- Born Global Brands
- Global Marketing Research
- Global Marketing Context
- Foreign Market Entry Strategy
- Target Country Market Selection
- Designing Global Marketing Programmes
- Global Marketing Communications
- Pricing and Distribution Decisions
Academic: Dr Peter Robbins
Once organisations move from marketing a single product to having multiple brands, then a strategy is required to manage the portfolio. In Ireland, according to recent OECD Research (2019), SME Innovation Intensity (how much our companies spend on innovation) and our Innovation Productivity (what we get for that spend) are both comparatively low. Many SMEs approach innovation without a strategy or process. This module will address that gap and will cover all the elements required to deliver a successful innovation programme.
Areas covered will be: Innovation Strategy; Innovation Structures; Innovation Processes including Stage Gate and Design Thinking. It will include Open Innovation ; strategic partnerships and Crowdsourcing and Crowdfunding. Also included will be techniques for integrating voice of the customer in the innovation process. Innovation leadership will also be a theme: commitment, vision, strategy and policy. Innovation culture will be studied and an audit tool provided. Some content will be drawn from the 2019 international ISO Innovation Management Standard which was developed exclusively to remedy this deficit in Irish SMEs.
Consumer Insight Generation
Academic: Eadaoin McCarthy
A market insight is the discovery of a relevant, accurate, actionable and previously unrealized reality about a target market that emerges as the result of deep, subjective data analysis combined with rich ethnographic data about how people behave. The goal of insight in marketing, especially when marketing or developing something new, is to benefit both parties, meeting your target audience’s true needs and wants while simultaneously providing the brand with an anchor in the consumer’s mind. In other words, the best market insights offer value for both the seller and the companies in need of the innovation.
Desired attributes of an insight is something that shifts understanding, is novel, is not obvious, is congruent, is explanatory and has endurance. Gary Klein(2015) refers to insight as ‘shifting to a better story’. In this module, we will discuss the components of insights; we will show how they can be leveraged not simply for tactical advertising but for sustainable innovation and we will review some world class examples.
This module will explore types and sources of insights and will use case studies to show how organisations and brands can bring insights to life to form the foundation for new product development or new market positioning.
- DCU Marketing, Innovation, and Technology students provide creative consulting advice to The Cool Food School02/03/2023 - 9:50 am
- Bernard Brogan – My MSc Management (Business) Experience24/02/2023 - 6:38 pm
- DCU Executive MBA – Louise Walsh, 1st year shares her thoughts!14/02/2023 - 4:31 pm
- A slice of LIFE with NTR plc CEO Rosheen McGuckian14/02/2023 - 4:06 pm
- Business Insights
- Collaborate with us
- About Us
- Our Programmes
- Faculty and Research
- Executive Education
- Upcoming Events
- Deans Honours List
- Contact Us