DCU Business School Faculty Insight: The Volkswagen Emissions Scandal – A fatal trust breach?
Prof. Finian Buckley a trust scholar at DCU Business School says the future for the Volkswagen brand is going to be very difficult.
Trust in a brand is built on three pillars, Competence, Integrity or Honesty, and Concern for customer. The reported rigging of emissions reading breaches at least 2 of these 3 pillars.
Unfortunately for VW, trust repair from integrity and concern for customer breaches are the most difficult to repair. Our research indicates that it is a slow costly process with no guarantee of success. They need to take several key steps to begin that process:
- Identify and accept responsibility for the breach
- Apologise openly and honestly – explain how and why this occurred
- Consider “exiting” those responsible
- Can reparation be made
- Put in place structures that objectively (independently) ensure that this can never reoccur
Even with these in place will customers ever trust VW again?
Professor Finian Buckley is a Professor of Organisational Psychology in DCU Business School. For more on his research in the area of trust, please click here.
Share this news
- MSc Investment, Treasury and Banking Programme Webinar29/11/2022 - 10:04 am
- MSc Work and Organisational Psychology/ Behaviour Programme Webinar28/11/2022 - 5:13 pm
- Dublin City University, daa and Fingal County Council partner on Sustainability in Aviation28/11/2022 - 4:31 pm
- KPMG partners with DCU Business School28/11/2022 - 4:11 pm
- Business Insights
- Collaborate with us
- About Us
- Our Programmes
- Faculty and Research
- Executive Education
- Upcoming Events
- Deans Honours List
- Contact Us