The Next Generation Module (NGM) module aims to develop the competencies required for successful management careers. It is a student led module lasting two semesters, with students choosing many of their own learning activities. The Next Generation Management Programme is offered to students in many of DCU’s full time Masters programmes.
NGM aims to develop
1. Digitally Competent Managers
2. Who are self aware, adaptable and continuously developing
3. Who are reflective critical thinkers and who work well in diverse teams for a rapidly changing and increasingly interconnected local and global environment
There are four main themes;
1. Personal and career development – managing oneself, managing others, and managing the business and strategy
2. Business and Society – business in society, global thinking, social entrepreneurship, business ethics, and corporate social responsibility
3. Research – qualitative and quantitative methods, library and information management, research planning, research ethics,
4. Digital – digital and mobile marketing and e-Commerce, digital communications, digital strategies
Particular emphasis is placed on: creating, sharing and applying knowledge; reflective and critical thinking; collaborating with people; and dealing with complexity.
A distinctive component of the NGM module is the ‘POD’ process. Students propose their own Personal Opportunities for Development (PODs) related to their personal development plan and also to one or more of the four module themes. For each POD, students are required to write a reflection on their learning while also providing conclusive evidence of their new knowledge, insight, or skill. Over two semesters students build a portfolio of PODs and reflections balanced across each of the four themes.
Their activity during the two semesters – particularly the reflection process, prompts students to continually update their personal development plan, which was drafted early in the first semester. The reflection process also improves their ability to assess their learning needs and to put in place appropriate new learning activities long after they have left DCU
View our full time postgraduate courses at https://business.dcu.ie/post-graduate-full-time/